Southern Charm







Borrowing from the boys, the shirtdress interprets the crisp fabric, button details, cuffs, and collar of a man's dress shirt in a feminine dress silhouette. It is a classic piece that has been fashionable since the 1950's. Today's versions, however, come in all sorts of styles, from fitted and feminine to slouchy and casual. You can never go wrong with a great shirtdress.

The key to a great shirtdress has always been the quality of the shirting material. Too thin and it lacks shape and gapes, too thick and it can add unnecessary weight. While I love a great shirtdress, as a busty girl, finding a well-fitting shirtdress (or button up shirt for that matter) has never been easy.

When Lauren James reached out and asked if I wanted to try their signature shirtdress, I was hesitant, but hopeful. I was so pleasantly surprised when I received my perfectly-pink shirtdress. I sized up to a medium to accommodate my chest, but the wide tie at the waist means you can easily cinch any extra fabric at the waist. This fun bow detail can be tied in the front or back. In addition to a great cut, the fabric is the perfect weight. It has just enough body to flatter your figure without adding bulk. Oh, and did I mention there are pockets! That always seals the deal for me.

Lauren James's adorable shirtdresses come in lots of fun colors and even seersucker. I thought my pink version would be perfect for my trip to Charleston, and I was right! I am not sure which is more charming, this dress or Charleston. And when I saw the amazing (and historic) pink Mills House Hotel, I knew it was kismet. We must have taken a thousand photos of the Mills House. So many that the door man started offering recommendations on photo locations in and around the hotel. That is how we ended up on the historic terrace (fun fact both Robert E. Lee and Theodore Roosevelt stayed there).

While the shirtdress will never go out of style, it is especially trendy this season. I think we will be seeing a lot more shirt dresses all spring and into summer. I have rounded up some of my current favorite shirtdresses below!

c/o Lauren James Dress // J.McLaughlin bag (similar) // wedges // hat // sunnies (old)

SHOP THE POST:

SHOP SHIRTDRESSES:

Labels: , , , , , ,