Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Atlanta





If coming home from Italy the day before Christmas wasn't stressful enough, the week after New Year's I drove up to Atlanta for a history conference (the AHA). Despite the fact that I have family just outside of the city, I had never spent much time in the metro Atlanta area. So, in between conference sessions, I wanted to explore the city.

I have to say that at first I was extremely disappointed in downtown Atlanta. I really had no idea what to expect, and the area around the hotel was like a ghost town. Thank goodness for all of my friends on Instagram. I put the call out for Atlanta recommendations and was inundated with tons of suggestions. It transformed my trip!

My first day I spent the afternoon break strolling Piedmont Park, which has a beautiful lake and view of the city. It was so nice to get some fresh air and exercise after sitting and listening to papers all morning. That evening I wanted to check out The Varsity that everyone raved about, but I had a cocktail reception and never made it (next time).




I started my second day with a trip to Sublime Doughnuts, which, as you may have guessed, was sublime! I tried the strawberries and cream, salt and vinegar, devil's food, and Reese's. All were delicious, but I think the strawberries and cream and the salt and vinegar were my favorites. My next break was lunch and it was suggested I check out the Krog Street Market (basically I ate my way through Atlanta). Not only was the food there delicious (and diverse) the venue is a very cool repurposed 1920s warehouse.



Since my Saturday schedule was light, I attended one panel and then decided to do something a little crazy. Confession time - I have a secret Vampire Diaries obsession (no judgement, we all have our vices). While in Atlanta, I learned that the town where the series is filmed was just a 20 minute drive from where I was staying, in the little historic town of Covington, GA. I was close and curious so I decided to visit. Turns out the town has been used in dozens of movies and TV series, like the Dukes of Hazard. It was a cute little town and I am glad I went (no they weren't filming at the time).

The best part of the trip, however, was picking up Ophelia. Being away from her for a year was so hard. She has been glued to my side and nothing but cuddles since I got home. Sunday we packed up and headed home. And just a day later the semester began. Needless to say I have yet to catch up on life or unpack, which is stressing me out. Stupidly in the midst of all of this I started a time-consuming DIY project. Not sure why I do this to myself. Hopefully I can get caught up on everything this weekend.

Life definitely feels like it is back to reality.
QuickEdit
Ashley B
2 Comments
Share :

2 comments:

  1. My husband is from a small town just south of Atlanta and we have friends that live in Atlanta so we visit often. Downtown Atlanta is pretty boring, unless you want to go the Coke museum or the aquarium. But the small subsidies outside of Atlanta are a lot of fun with great places to eat and shop. Glad you had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, this is the latest comment of all time but I've been trying to catch up (been writing all the papers!) and I'm so happy you made it out to Atlanta! I love my city. Also, I squealed big time at the Vamp Diaries pics. I work as an extra on th e show and LOVE IT. They film some of the the exterior scenes in Covington (obvi the clock tower and such) but for the most part, everything is filmed on several sound stages outside the city in a completely different area (and mostly all indoors!). Happy to find another fan!

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)