Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

I Have This Thing With Parisian Doors



So you may have noticed on Instagram that I have this thing with Parisian doors. I love them! I think they are just absolutely stunning and one of my favorite pastimes in Paris is just roaming the city admiring all of the beautiful doors. In fact, when my family headed to Paris Disney last Friday, I stayed in the city and headed out to explore for new doors.

Each door is just so special with intricate details and gorgeous hues that pop from the beige boulevards and grey walls that surround them. My family made fun of me because I basically walk around Paris like this:

Me (stops dead in my tracks): "Oh my gosh! Look at that one! I have to take a picture."
Family: "Yes, very pretty."
Me: (walks a few more steps and gasps): "No this one is even prettier! I need a picture of this one."
Family: (eye rolls)
Me: (walks to the next block, stops and sighs): "Oh, the color on this one!"

Repeat all day.

I especially love the shiny, heavily lacquered doors. I am curious how this tradition started. How long have Parisians been painting their ornate doors these beautiful hues?


You can find gorgeous colored doors throughout the city, mainly away from the big tourist sights. But once you start exploring some neighborhoods, you will find they are everywhere. My favorite areas for door strolling are Le Marais and the area around the Blvd. Staint-Germain and the Luxembourg Gardens.

If you want to know exactly where to find the city's best and brightest doors, check out my Google map guide of Paris!


Please tell me I am not alone in this obsession! And if anyone knows the history of these doors, do tell!
QuickEdit
Ashley B
4 Comments
Share :

4 comments:

  1. Ahh I just wrote a comment that I think the internet ate.
    In case it was lost for ever, I'll try again. I don't know anything about why the doors in Paris are so colorful, but in Dublin it is because there were restrictions placed on modifications to buildings in the 1700s, and so residents responded by making minor modifications - brightly colored doors being one. I think at least in the St. Germain area many buildings were destroyed or heavily damaged during the Revolution, which would put rebuilding right at the end of the 1700s/early 1800s - perhaps it is for a similar reason? Total speculation, I'd be interested to know the history, too!

    Also, you're definitely not the only one - I love the to notice the beautiful details of local architecture when traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so interesting about the doors in Dublin, I bet it is a similar history in Paris. I am glad I am not the only one obsessed with this. I am pretty sure my family thinks I am nuts!

      PS - I looooved Dublin!

      Delete
  2. I love love love doors as well! When I was travelling in Paris I took a bunch of door photos as well. Some of them are my fave framed pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love doors as well! When I was travelling in Paris I took a bunch of door photos as well. Some of them are my fave framed pics :)

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)