Travel Hack: Dresses as Skirts






First Outfit: dress (similar) // sweater (similar) // shoes (similar) // tote
Second Outfit: dress // sweater // coat (similar) // clutch (last seen here)

Wearing dresses as skirts is one of my favorite travel hacks (that and placing your shoes in disposable shower caps, seriously brilliant!). Not only does it allow you to wear your favorite dresses again (and in new and exciting ways), it really helps cut down how much you need to pack. If you ask me, it is a win-win. I re-wore two of the dresses I had worn in Paris as skirts in London (polka dot dress here and houndstooth here). I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it, dresses are just as versatile as separates!

I’ve found that this technique works best with dresses with well-defined waists paired with slightly cropped sweaters (optimum cropping will depend on your height and torso length). You can also layer a button up ontop of the dress and under the sweater for even more dimension (and/or warmth).

I found this cropped black sweater randomly in Dillards last fall. I hesitated buying it, not sure what I would wear it with. I am glad I made that impulse purchase, because I have worn this sweater constantly in Italy. It seems to easily layer over just about anything when I am cold in my apartment or running around town. I wish it was slightly better quality (it is BCBGeneration), because I fear I will wear holes in it at some point! Moral of the story, always scoop up versatile cropped sweaters in neutral colors, especially if you are on the shorter side and like to layer them over dresses.

I don’t know about you, but because of my height I really struggle to find sweaters with the right proportions. Any brand recommendations are welcomed!

Labels: , , , , , ,