Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Travel Hack: Dresses as Skirts







First Outfit: dress (similar) // sweater (similar) // shoes (similar) // tote
Second Outfit: dress // sweater // coat (similar) // clutch (last seen here)

Wearing dresses as skirts is one of my favorite travel hacks (that and placing your shoes in disposable shower caps, seriously brilliant!). Not only does it allow you to wear your favorite dresses again (and in new and exciting ways), it really helps cut down how much you need to pack. If you ask me, it is a win-win. I re-wore two of the dresses I had worn in Paris as skirts in London (polka dot dress here and houndstooth here). I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it, dresses are just as versatile as separates!

I’ve found that this technique works best with dresses with well-defined waists paired with slightly cropped sweaters (optimum cropping will depend on your height and torso length). You can also layer a button up ontop of the dress and under the sweater for even more dimension (and/or warmth).

I found this cropped black sweater randomly in Dillards last fall. I hesitated buying it, not sure what I would wear it with. I am glad I made that impulse purchase, because I have worn this sweater constantly in Italy. It seems to easily layer over just about anything when I am cold in my apartment or running around town. I wish it was slightly better quality (it is BCBGeneration), because I fear I will wear holes in it at some point! Moral of the story, always scoop up versatile cropped sweaters in neutral colors, especially if you are on the shorter side and like to layer them over dresses.

I don’t know about you, but because of my height I really struggle to find sweaters with the right proportions. Any brand recommendations are welcomed!

QuickEdit
Ashley B
10 Comments
Share :

10 comments:

  1. It’s such a great post! Awesome! I like your style of writing and your photos!
    I know how much time it requires to keep updating your blog, but don’t stop doing it!)

    Diana Cloudlet
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you always so gorgeous?!? Love these pictures once again haha!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! So I just stumbled on your blog via Pinterest and I love it! I'll be heading to Europe this summer and so your pictures of London and Paris have gotten me giddy with excitement. And your Packing for Summer in Europe post is just what I was looking for as far as tips for what to wear this summer goes!

    I do have one question! What type of lens are you using for your pictures? I just got a DSLR camera for my trip and I love the quality and clarity of your photos.

    Thanks! - Kathleen (Places I Will Go)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen, so glad you stumbled on my blog! I am using a Nikon 50mm f/1.8G AF-S NIKKOR FX Lens. It is a static lens (no zoom) just to warn you. But I absolutely love it! I also only shoot on manual, which has dramatically improves the quality of my photos!

      Delete
  4. This is such a great way to get more use out of a smaller wardrobe. I never think to do this but you totally inspired me to try it once it's finally warm enough to bring out the dresses in NY!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How tall are you? I'm 5'4" and everything seems to be a struggle, ESPECIALLY with J.Crew. Everything "regular" needs to be hemmed and all the "short" pants seem just a hair too short. I've always been self conscious of my middle so it is SO hard to embrace the crop top trend, which I feel brings lots of attention to my not greatest feature! I'm trying to figure out how to work your dress hack in the summer when it will be too hot to have too many layers on top!

    jess | Bows & Bouquets

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a proud 5'1" lol, so I can easily wear petite. I actually like the crop trend when layered, because it highlights your smallest part, your waist! For the summer I love wearing short sleeve tops over dresses. You can also tie a chambray top over your dress.

      Delete
    2. I would have never guessed you were so dainty! You have definitely mastered proportions because I thought you were more in the 5'7" range (which to me is model height lol) - well played!

      Delete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)