Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Postcards From Vienna



Ah Vienna! I was definitely looking forward to Vienna. It's a city that has long been on my bucket list. One day here was not enough, I am already planning my return (there is an overnight train from Florence to Vienna). Not only is Vienna rich in history (it was the home of the Hapsburg court) but the city has a regal and elegant air about it.

Church of St. Peter

We began our day in Vienna with a walking tour (of course!) and hit all of the major sights -- St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Hofburg Palace, the Kunsthistorisches Museum, Hotel Sacher (famous for their chocolate cake), Heldenplatz, Volksgarten, and the gorgeous Rathaus.












It was a very cold day in Vienna, so after our day of walking we warmed ourselves with some mulled hot wine (which is delicious). We were surprised to find a winter fair in front of the Rathaus, complete with iceskating... I mean when in Vienna! Let me tell you, there is nothing quite like iceskating in front of the Rathaus as the sun sets over Vienna! 


After attempting to ice skate as little Viennese children ran circles around me, we headed back towards the center of town to a cellar restaurant for dinner (the restaurant is actually down in an old wine cellar). We ate more schnitzel, spaetzle, and strudel than humanly possible! All in all, it was an amazing (and exhausting) introduction to Vienna. I can't wait to return!


Since I had so little time there, I am sure I missed things. Please feel free to suggest sights and activities for when I return!

QuickEdit
Ashley B
11 Comments
Share :

11 comments:

  1. These are such gorgeous pictures! I am so happy you are enjoying your time abroad :)

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vienna is beautiful! It has been on my travel list for quite awhile now. I can't wait for you to go back and to read about it!

    Sarah
    Sweet Spontaneity

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog! I will love if you can check out my blog is fashionista93x.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are GORGEOUS! I just love all your photos. Seriously so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, I am loving my new camera lens!

      Delete
  5. Oh Ashley, Vienna is one of my favorite cities in Europe! Next time you go there you must check out Schloss Schönbrunn, Schloss Belvedere, get standing tickets to the opera, and try some exotic fruits at the Naschtmarkt.

    Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect, they are on my list! Thanks Chloe!!!!

      Delete
    2. Chloe, I'll be in Vienna this weekend. Thanks for sharing these - I'm looking them up now. :)

      Delete
  6. What a place! So many gorgeous buildings - and still so much to see! I love the tall statuary you saw. Such elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley, these pictures are getting me so excited for my trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just read this post and I have a view suggestions for you in Vienna:
    - Naschmarkt: which is a gorgeous traditional, but also modern market
    - Museumsquartier: popular for culture, but also food and going out
    - Figlmueller: best Schnitzel in town
    - Eis-Greissler: best ice cream, extremely delish and still natural, very special types of ice cream
    - NENI Tel Aviv Beach bar: when you go to Vienna in summer
    - Christmas Market at the Spittelberg: most beautiful christmas market in a historic location
    - Kahlenberg: outside Vienna, best place to get a view

    Oh, and if you should visit Austria again: consider the Wachau region! It's breathtakingly beautiful from spring to autumn. That's were I live! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)