Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Life in Florence


I have been in Florence for about a week and a half now and I think I have finally settled in. I am starting to get into the rhythm of life in Florence. 


Living in cold weather is certainly an adjustment (I know it could be worse, at least there is no snow, but can we talk about the static in my hair?). It took me a few days to figure out my heating and the perfect temperature in my apartment, in celsius that is. My Ikea run this past Saturday was difficult (I went by bus, #neveragain) but worth it. I finally have everything I need and my apartment is so adorable. I promise to share pictures later this week. I also love my neighborhood in the Santa Croce area. It has everything I need but isn't noisy, crowded, or touristy. 


Most mornings I head to the gym with Anna and once a week I treat myself to a training session with the amazing Daniel. Beginning this week, I will head to the archive on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays to immerse myself in the documents. Tuesdays and Thursdays I will work from home, managing the archive's social media (feel free to like our FB page!), writing/answering emails, reading articles, and processing the research I gather while in the archive.


I make a point everyday to wander around the city for a bit. Florence is small and enchanting, and strolling this remarkable city is definitely my favorite pastime (I also love hiking up to Piazzale Michelangelo). I typically spend my evenings dining with friends or sipping prosecco with Anna. Tuesday nights are my favorite because that is Mexican aperitivo night at our favorite local bar (the beans and rice and fresh guacamole are amazing).


Speaking of food, I am sure you all are wondering how I am doing on my new diet (I hate calling it a diet... lifestyle? eating habits?). I have actually been quite successful! A couple of times a week I head to the local market and stock up on fresh fruits and veggies to snack on. When dining out, I opt for red pasta sauces and pesto, or my favorite Ribollita soup (which is just beans, veggies, and bread). I also love picking up fresh whole wheat bread and little "focaccioni" from my local bakery. These little delights are just fresh baked focaccia bread topped with veggies--peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, spinach, etc. So yummy! I have also replaced my daily cappuccini with espresso, although I indulge in one or two cappuccini a week. Overall, it hasn't been nearly as bad or as difficult as I expected.


Ciao for now!

QuickEdit
Ashley B
20 Comments
Share :

20 comments:

  1. Oh the static-y hair is all too real. Glad to hear you're settling in nicely to life in Florence! What a dream :) I can't wait to see your apartment tour!

    Sarah
    Sweet Spontaneity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, any tips for getting rid of the static? I am all ears!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy Florence is going well-- it is such an amazing city!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that red coat look ah-mazing on you! I definitely just searched through your packing posts to find it and will be on the look out for something similar. I've really enjoyed reading about your voyages so far and am really happy it's all going well so far. I hope you share any cool things you find at the archives and the work you're doing there in general - I think it would be fascinating to hear!
    xo, Katie
    hyperactive daydream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie, I have had this coat for forever. Thanks for following along and I will definitely share some archival adventures, wasn't sure if people wanted to hear about that.

      Delete
  4. It's a pleasure to see you wearing your Wellingtons in the rain you look adorable.
    Kisses
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my wellies, best thing I packed!

      Delete
  5. The first two outfits look great on you, and I definitely need to buy a new shirt with black stripes :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adriana! A stripe shirt is a wardrobe essential, so versatile!

      Delete
  6. Obsessed with your Florentine life! I followed the Medici archive project page, so interested!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks and so exited you followed the page, yay! I should do a post on their online archival database. You can go on and read (in english) 15th to 18th century documents. It is a history nerds dream!

      Delete
  7. My mouth is watering over all the food you've been enjoying. Also, I can totally relate to the static hair #coldweatherprobs
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So. much. food. Any static hair tips?

      Delete
  8. Florence looks so gorgeous! I'd love to see an apartment tour sometime now that you're all settled in!
    xo,
    Randi
    http://www.randiwithani.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am posting my apartment pics tomorrow! Thanks for following along!

      Delete
  9. I am in love with that red coat! Actually, I'm fawning over all of your outerwear in these pictures :)

    Julia
    this sojourner

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is a product in the US called Static Guard which works wonders. I'm not sure if you can get it abroad, but perhaps someone can ship it to you.Or in a pinch, I often use dryer sheets. Just rub it over your hair and the static is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just find your blog and I already love it! Thanks for all the tips and trix on packing for moving abroad. I'm moving from Helsinki to Stockholm in a month and will work there for 9 months so we're some what in the same situation :) I got married with the man of my dreams i september, and we went to Florence on our honeymoon, so thank you also for sharing pictures from that beatiful city. It will be such fun to follow your time there!

    Regards, A

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those faccioni look delightful! Just enough bread and veg to fill a craving, but not too many calories! Can you get cappuccinos with non-fat milk? Maybe switch to that so that you can keep indulging in Italian treats!

    www.queenbcreativeme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)