Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Spring Travel Wish List


If you follow me on Instagram then you have seen lots of travel planning and wanderlusting as of late. Well, that's because I want to make the most of living in Italy this spring/summer. The best part about living in Europe is how easy and inexpensive it is to travel, and I intend to as much as possible while I am there (on the weekends of course, still got to work!). Deciding where to go, however, is the hard part. So many opportunities, so little time! So far I have decided on the following weekend excursions (all places I have never been to before!).

via

Amsterdam: Tulips, canals, bikes, and Van Gogh, what's not to love about Amsterdam? This "Venice of the north" has been on my wanderlust list for years now. I plan on hopping from one art museum to another, sipping coffee in numerous cafes (the non pot kind), strolling and biking the canals, and letting my curiosity get the best of me and sneak a peak of the Red Light District lol. On the top of my sightseeing list is the Anne Frank House, the 14th century Begijnhof houses, and the Rijksmuseum Art Museum.

via

Budapest: This Eastern European gem has been overlooked by most 20th-century travelers after it was hit hard by World War I and II and Soviet rule. But Budapest has a long and fascinating history and the city has poured a lot of heart (and money) into rebuilding and preserving their past. I for one can't wait to visit Castle Hill (and the Royal Palace) and the amazing Parliament Building on the Danube. The best part about Budapest - all of the museums, art, architecture, and history of other Western European capitals, at half the price!

via

Prague: Another important historical center and often under appreciated European city. Prague was once the center of Bohemia and an important Hapsburg city. With over 1100 years of history, there is lots of castles, museums, architecture, churches, and art for this history nerd to explore. I think I am most excited to see the fairytale Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, and Lennon Wall.


via

Vienna: Vienna is known as the city of music, but I am really excited about it because it is easily accessible on an overnight train from Florence. I know I am a huge nerd, but I love the overnight train! One of my goals this spring is to see how many places I can get to by overnight train. Vienna will be my first stop. I can't wait to see the summer palace of the Hapsburgs, the Gothic St. Stephens cathedral, and take in a lot of Baroque art... cause you know, if it ain't baroque lol!

In addition to these weekend trips, I am really looking forward to the ten-day extravaganza to Paris, London, and Dublin that my friend Nicole and I are taking when she visits in March. It will be a well-deserved spring break!


I am looking for more ideas of places to visit on weekends, so if you have any suggestions please share!

QuickEdit
Ashley B
17 Comments
Share :

17 comments:

  1. Amsterdam is one of my favorite places! Definitely check out the Van Gogh Museum and the Science Center!

    The 20-Something Project

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prague is one of my favorite cities ever (after Florence, le duh!). I remember being content just sitting in Old Town Square, admiring that church Our Lady of Tyn. So beautiful! Also, the stairs leading up to the castle are killer, but so worth it for the amazing views of the city.

    In Vienna, I loved visiting the pandas in the Schonbrunn zoo! What an awesome extra to enjoy after walking through the palace.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no suggestions. I'm living,and in some cases re-living vicariously thru your travels. I find it exciting to follow your travels. I imagine your dayplanner filled with entries and sticky notes. The post is well written and all of us appreciate your attention to detail. R

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are so gorgeous and giving me a total case of wanderlust! I love the tulips!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading this post has given me a travel bug for sure. I would love to visit all these places too! I'm glad you highlighted the non red light district part of Amsterdam because it has so much more to offer than that and I think a lot of people overlook it.

    Natalie
    pugsandpink.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I highly recommend San Sebastian in the Basque County in Spain, as well as Seville in Spain which is beautiful in spring. I'm also studying abroad this spring in Europe and I will definitely try to visit some of your suggestions and of course Florence. Hope to read about more study abroad/living abroad or traveling in general articles for you as you always do such a great job on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aleksis, maybe we will bump into each other in Florence!

      Delete
  7. I studied abroad in Lyon, France last summer and it's amazing! I would definitely recommend for a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good information. Lucky me I found your website by accident (stumbleupon).
    I have book marked it for later!

    My site ... flashcard cho be

    ReplyDelete
  9. I traveled to Budapest for a long weekend last year. It was a wonderful city! I would recommend taking time to visit a bathhouse ... I went to Gellert and it was amazing. You can also get a super cheap massage while at Gellert!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you can get to Malta easily enough from Italy. The capital Valletta is stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had not thought about Malta, good to know and thanks!

      Delete
  11. Take me with you? I heard Amsterdam is absolutely beautiful!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amsterdam is wonderful! Definitely rent a bike while you're there. Some of the shops rent basic black ones, which means you don't look like a tourist. Amsterdam also has a museum devoted to cat artwork (and has a handful of live cats roaming around). Very fun and far less crowded than the major museums. http://www.kattenkabinet.nl/index.php?lang=en

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG Ashley, I'm going to all of these places (minus Amsterdam) next week! I just started my job at a school in France and we have a two-week break...so I'm flying to Krakow on Saturday and also doing Prague, Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest! Also, I booked a weekend trip to Florence/Pisa mid-November to visit my friend who's interning there (I actually showed her your blog, I think she may have emailed you? Deb Silver?), and can't wait to use all of your tips and go-to spots. I know you primarily go there during the summer, so if you have different "winter" tips, please tell! Thanks so much for posting this!

    Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chloe I am so excited for you, and very jealous at the same time. Have an amazing time and I hope you share your travels and divulge tips on your blog. As far as Florence goes, my recommendations don't change too much in the winter, although I have only spent one winter there. Florence is especially beautiful decorated for Christmas, so enjoy!

      Delete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)