Berlin or Bust!

This morning I am saying ciao to Italy for a quick vacation to Berlin (well part vacation, part conference)!

For those of you who have been following my blog for a while will not be surprised to find out that I am a type-A traveler, who loves to plan out and schedule everything! I am sure this stresses some people out, but for me it ensures that I will get to see and do everything I possibly can! I also believe (and know from experience) that a bit of planning goes a long way in avoiding wasting time in lines or getting lost.

I usually spend a couple days familiarizing myself with the city's map and metro system. I then list all of the sights I want to see and group them by location. Finally, I check online to see what kind of deals there might be or if reservations are required (and it's a good thing I did, you can only go to the top of the Reichstag in Berlin with an appointment!).

Here is my plan for the next 4 days in Berlin!

Day 1:
Morning - Arrive in Berlin, taxi to hotel and check-in
11:00 am - Walk to the Brandenburg Gate (There is a Dunkin Donuts nearby!!!!!)
11:45 am - Pics at the Gate
12:00 pm - Stroll down Unter der Linden (towards Museum Island). Turn right down Friedrichstraβe (grab lunch along the way or at in outdoor café in Gendarmenmarkst). Left on Mohrenstraβe, and left on Markgrafstraβe.
2:00 pm - Gendarmenmarkst - Stop at the chocolate place – Fassbender & Rausch – along the way (on Mohrenstraβe) Sip hot chocolate upstairs!
3:00 pm  - Continue north on Charlottenstraβe back towards Unter der Linden, turn right on Unter der Linden to Bebelplatz
Metro back to the hotel for a break? Or continue east towards the River Spree for a stroll before dinner? (see I can relax lol)
7:00 pm Dinner at Gaffel-Haus

Day 2:
8:30 am - Depart Hotel (Metro Bellevue to Friedrichstr.) for the Pergamon Museum
11:00 am - Neues Museum
1:00 pm - DDR Museum (eat lunch there first)
3:00 pm - Berlin Cathedral
4:00 pm - German History Museum
7:00 pm - Dinner at Brauhas Lemlee

Day 3:
8:00 am - Depart hotel for the Reichstag (20 min walk)
8:30 am - Reservation for the Reichstag Dome
10:00 am - Coffee and photo shoot at the Brandenburg Gate
11:00 am - Holocaust Memorial
12:30 pm Check Point Charlie
1:00 pm - Stroll up Friedrichstraβe (grab lunch on the way)
4:00 pm - Berlin Wall Memorial (Head back towards the hotel, dinner near hotel)

Day 4:
9:00 am - Metro to Warschauer – East Side Gallery
Rest of the Day - Take the metro to Adenauerplatz (U7), Stroll east, down Kurfürstendamm, then to the Sony Center, and Potsdamer (this is more of a relaxing shopping day!)

Anybody been to Berlin and have some last minute tips?

Stay tuned for tons of pics!

Labels: ,