Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

How to Travel Alone (and why you should!)



I am always surprised at the reaction I get when people discover that I almost always travel (at home and abroad) alone. I usually hear things like, "aren't you afraid to travel by yourself as a single woman?" or "you're ok eating dinner alone?" 

I think it's interesting that in our society it is completely normal for men to travel alone frequently and typically for work, while I, however, get looks of pity, as if my life is so sad because I travel alone! Well, I have been to England, Germany, Spain, and Turkey by myself and I've got to tell you, I had an incredible time! If you are going to have pity, have pity on the women who don't adventure on their own because we allow are society to tell them it's unsafe or sad.

Of course as a single woman I do need to be careful when traveling abroad alone, although I would argue that men would need to be equally careful when traveling solo. Here are some of my tips for going it alone:
  1. Research, research, research! I always study the map and research the city (or cities) I am traveling to. I make sure I arrive in the morning (or at least during daylight hours) and that I am familiar with the public transportation system(s), or have arranged transport to my hotel. I also take extra care to understand the layout of the city and where the safer neighborhoods are. In my opinion it is worth paying more for a safe hotel in a good neighborhood when traveling by yourself. Also, by staying in a more reputable hotel you can get to know the hotel staff who can be very helpful and accommodating.
  2. Safety should come first. There are just some things you shouldn't do when traveling by yourself (especially abroad). And one of those is partying all night. If that's the type of trip you are looking for, you should really go with friends. But if you are looking to learn and explore a new culture, there is nothing better than immersing yourself, by yourself. 
  3. Capitalize on daylight hours. I get up early and see as much as I can before sunset. If I want to go out after dark (which I rarely do) I always splurge for the taxi. Typically though I spend my evenings socializing at the hotel, or relaxing in my room (I love to explore new cities on foot, so I am usually too tired at night). One final note on safety - always be cautious of who you befriend and what you tell them. I rarely reveal I am traveling alone. When asked, I usually joke that my fiends are party animals and I just want to visit the museums.
  4. Be confident. Because I research before I depart I already know what to expect and how to get around. Having that kind of confidence will make you less of a target. If you look competent and like you know what you are doing, no one will bother you!
  5. Trust your instincts (I call this my gut). I always trust my gut when traveling, even if my reaction seems irrational. If I feel uncomfortable at anytime, I remove myself from the situation. Your gut, however, is much more reliable when you make the effort to constantly be aware of your surroundings. For example, one evening in Florence I was stuck walking home alone after dark and through a not-so-nice part of town. I noticed there was a guy following me. Now, he could have been simply heading the same direction, but my gut told me to be careful. I knew there was a 24-hour McDonalds around the corner and I ducked inside until he was well out of sight. Another trick I love if someone is harassing you, simple walk up to a group of tourist and act like you belong!

Of course there are times when I travel that I get lonely, frustrated, or worried, but I highly doubt these are emotions only solo travelers feel. The reality is that there are rarely like-mided people with the same means and schedule as you to travel. I am lucky enough to live abroad in the summer. None of my friends or family can afford to do that, so I have embraced solo travel. I love being able to explore as many churches, museums, and historical sites as I want, eat when I want and where I want, and sleep and relax without worrying about anyone else! Don't let the fear of being alone keep you from seeing the world! 

Oh and p.s. that whole "omg you eat alone" thing - if you are really that concerned about it you can book a local dinner tour/show, eat at a bar, or if you are really worried, order room service! There is always an alternative!

Would you travel alone? Where would you go first?


QuickEdit
Ashley B
17 Comments
Share :

17 comments:

  1. This is my favorite HIHH post yet! Seriously, the more I read, the more similar I realize we are. While the only time I traveled alone was a day trip to Annapolis, I did almost every tourist thing/museum/castle visit by myself in France, as my roommates were uninterested. You gain so much independence and learn so much! I initially was insecure about going alone, but by the end, I realized I preferred doing things alone because I could spend as much time in museums as I wanted, looking at things for as short or as long as I wanted, without having to keep tabs on anyone else. Can't wait to see what else you got in store for future posts!
    xoxo Chloe | Wanderlust in the Midwest

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips! I have always been super scared to travel alone, but these tips are really helpful!

    Hunter
    Prep on a Budget

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!!! I'm in the same boat right now. There isn't anyone else that wants to travel with me, so I figure I have to go alone. I can't let that hold me back from seeing the world! Awesome post, it's pushing me to book my flight. I love your outfit too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's so awesome that you travel alone and feel confident doing so. It's definitely something I would consider trying in the future. I'm most likely going to be flying to Chicago by myself this summer and thats already stressing me out so maybe baby steps are for the best for me!
    -Alex
    www.monstermisa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post has some great advice! I recently travelled solo for the first time to Paris and it was so great to be able to set my own timetable! I enjoyed it so much I am travelling solo again, this time to Italy, visiting Rome, Florence and Milan, so I am loving all your posts about Florence!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I travel solo for business (performing & judging piano competitions) and pleasure. It never occurred to me that I couldn't travel alone. Like Chloe's comment, when alone I can do everything I want to, when I want to, and for how long I want to--what's not to love? Like Ashley, I pretty much wear myself out during the daytime, then at night I often order room service and read, but it doesn't bother me to eat in a restaurant alone. I usually stay in very good boutique hotels that often have small, intimate, quiet restaurants, and their waiters and maitre d' usually take very good care of women who travel alone.

    I have a friend with whom I travel on occasion, & it works well because we want to go to museums but don't necessarily want to see the same things, so we split up at the front door knowing where the other will be, then agree to meet back at a certain time to see the things in the museum we both want to see. When we travel together we will do things at night, too, like opera or symphonies or plays.

    One last note: when I travel I take a simple silver wedding band, though I've never really used it! I take it with me on the advice of a single friend who travels alone and usually wears one when she travels; says men absolutely leave her alone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A huge thanks to share your experience.. Its a great inspiration for me.. Its makes me feel confident to try it..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same!!! This is a great post! Its always funny to see how many people are surprised by the fact that I travel alone, and so young too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone is always surised when you tell them for the first time you travel alone. But it's just so amazing to do. More people should try it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi people,
    Thank you so much for this wonderful article really!
    If someone want to learn more about the solo travel I think this is the right place for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just took my first solo trip and went to Italy! I actually used this blog for a lot of recs and inspiration. I absolutely loved traveling alone and can't wait to do it again. I did get a lot of people, friends at home and strangers I met abroad, who were really surprised to find a solo female traveler. People from the US especially aren't used to it. As for eating dinner alone, my first day in Italy I was too shy/embarrassed, and when I did go, I always had a book or journal for something to look at. But my last day, I went to a very nice restaurant alone and sat there with no distractions, just enjoying the amazing food. I was totally comfortable. It was such an eye opening experience and a huge blessing to become so comfortable with just my own company. Plus, I found that when I was eating alone, people and restaurant staff were extra friendly! I had drinks paid for by people at other tables, got an extra glass of wine from a friendly waiter, and lots of extra attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This makes me so happy to hear! And yes, I find that the waiters and hosts are super friendly and chatty when I eat alone while traveling. I have really grown to love it! Welcome to the wonderful world of solo travel, but I must warn you, it is addictive.

      Delete
  13. I just went on my first solo trip a few months ago to Italy. I actually used this blog as a source of inspiration and for tips. I found I loved traveling by myself and having my own timeline.

    As for eating alone, my advice is to embrace it! When I first got there, I was too embarrassed and ate sad meals in my hostels, but I realized it was a huge waste to go to a country so famous for its food and only eat hostel food. At first I was uncomfortable and always had a book or journal on me. By my last day, I was able to go to a fancy restaurant, sit alone at a table with no distractions and just enjoy my own company. Plus, I found people are much friendlier and more attentive to solo diners. I got extra attention from waiters, small plates and appetizers sent to my table, drinks paid for by nearby diners, and a whole bottle of wine when I only ordered a glass at one place in Milan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My first solo trip start in 3 days to Ireland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice to read your article. I have felt the same as I travel alone. There are pros and cons to everything.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I visited Barcelona 3 years ago and I saw almost everything I wanted. This year I'll go again but these time with friends and while talking to them about the trip I found none of them wanted to see the things I saw before. What a relief I went alone the first time and didn't leave thinking I missed something of the experience!

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)