Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

DIY: Ikea Bar Cart Hack


I don't want to brag, but I am pretty much obsessed with my latest Ikea hack - a bar cart for only $29.99!!!!!

I absolutely love the bar cart trend, but I have yet to find an affordable option for someone 1) with a small place and 2) who doesn't really drink (obviously I am not counting prosecco and wine). Even when Target released a somewhat inexpensive $120 version, I still felt like it was too expensive and too large. I just wasn't willing to sink hundreds of dollars into a trend that I love the look of, but at the end of the day, isn't super practical for my lifestyle.

But then the other day I was in Ikea (picking up frames for my prints, of course) and I saw the Bygel utility cart for $29.99. Yes that's right, 30 bucks! I was completely willing to invest thirty dollars into the bar cart trend. Another bonus was the cart's size, which makes it ideal for small spaces and less costly to fill.


All I did to transform the cart was spray paint it gold! A quick tip - assemble the cart half-way before spray painting. Then, let dry and finish assembling. It is also helpful to have some gold craft paint for touch ups.

To fill my new bar cart, I simply gathered some of my glasses from the kitchen and added this gorgeous square tray, this acrylic wine holder (which will look great when I finally get around to filling it), and these adorable straws (on clearance!).

This was seriously the cheapest and easiest bar cart ever! Eventually I would love to add an ice bucket and shaker, but for now I am super happy with the result.

I thought it was only appropriate to hang my degrees over my new bar cart,
since I often joke drinking is the only way you survive grad school!

Peony print from my printshop!
But how perfect would this recent freebie be on your new bar cart?

Gold glasses from West Elm

What do you think? Anybody else excited about this hack?

QuickEdit
Ashley B
30 Comments
Share :

30 comments:

  1. So cute!! Glad you posted for inspiration - I am going to be working on this soon!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhh! So brilliant but so easy. I think I will have to make a trip to okea this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm tackling this over the weekend (I'm moving into my own tiny place next month) and in addition to the gold spray paint I picked up some marble contact paper for the shelves and top tray! Love making cheap look (semi)expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous idea!! K & I have been wanting a bar cart too (mostly to show off our wine glasses!), but we haven't purchased one since they're usually so expensive! I love the gold!

    P.S. Your apartment is so cute & perfect!! I'm obsessed!!

    xo, B
    www.BKCsquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a steal! I always loved the bar cart trend as well but would never spend a lot of money on one, this is the perfect solution.
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be thee best Ikea hack I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I've been looking for a bar cart for a while now, this might do the trick!
    xo
    Tara
    shoesillneverhave.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. So chic! And so simple! Thanks for the idea :)

    Sarah
    Sweet Spontaneity

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing! It's looks so good! My roommate and I were just talking about how we want a bar cart for our townhouse next year, we will definitely keep this in mind!
    Cara
    southern-and-savvy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting a bar cart for a while but couldn't really justify the price - this is such a good, easy and affordable DIY - thanks for sharing!

    The Life & Times of Belle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it!! Adding it to my ever-growing list of ikea hacks! I was wondering though, what type if gold spray paint do you use? Bc mine always turns out looking brassy. Thank you! Email is suzyb569@gmail

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my next project! Do you need to use any kind of primer before spray painting?

    covetsandcassandra.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this but love the degrees even more! I Graduated from UT in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what brand and shade of spray paint did you use? I LOVE this so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rust-Oleum's Specialty Metallic Gold!

      Delete
  16. YEA! Fantastic - I've been looking for a smaller, low cost cart. This is perfect and a great showing of how easy it is to make something "your own".

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like this idea - so I went to check it out: $30 for the cart online... Ikea must have gotten wind of its popularity! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that makes sense, I bought mine over a year ago. But it's still a good deal at $30!

      Delete
  18. Do you remember which spray paint you used? There are so many gold options, but I love the way that this finish turned out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I used Rust-Oleum's Specialty Metallic Gold

      Delete
  19. Great idea, can you pls clarify "half aassemble before spraying?" Wouldn't that get the white shelves sprayed gold? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Did you sand it before? I bought this at Ikea and plan on spray painting but didn't know if I should sand the metal first :)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love what you did with that cart! Spraying it gold made it look so much more stunning. It now fits very well on your apartment, which is chic and definitely very fab. Gold spray had never been so handy. In any way, thanks for sharing that, Ashley! Kudos and all the best to you! :)

    Traci Mcdaniel @ Carolina Material Handling, Inc

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this! Have look at my blog!
    xoxoxooxox
    http://couturegal.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, nothing like being up to date on my leisure reading...
    This is the best IKEA Hack ever, Miss Ashley!

    PinkNayNay

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is awesome! I keep eyeing the cart every time I pass it when I go to Ikea. Now I need to figure out can it fit into the room layout. It did when I first moved in...

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the hack, fellow UT Alum ;)

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)