Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

New Goal: Run a Half Marathon



When I exercise I am good about challenging myself. The problem is the word "when." I have a tendency to run hot and cold with my exercise habit. I will run 5 or 6 days a week for a couple weeks, but then go 3 weeks without running at all.

A good friend (who is a crazy triathlete) suggested that since I can already run 3-4 miles, I should train for a half marathon. It would keep my running consistent without being overly ambitious, because I am really more interested in the constant training than the ability to run extreme long distances (maybe one day I will want to run a marathon, but right now I am not that into the idea of 26 miles!). She also suggested I train with a heart rate monitor (one of my new Xmas presents), which would help me keep my heart rate in the fat-burning zone and keep my training intensity at a moderate (and sustainable) level.

So, I am going for it! I officially added "I will run a half marathon" to my 2014 goals. I haven't decided which marathon I am going to do. I wanted to do the Disney Princess half marathon (sign me up for any race I get to wear a tiara in), but it is in February so the timing just isn't right. Oh well, next year!

Finally, this is the training schedule I have decided to follow:


I am starting Monday January 6th and will finish in March. I will have to modify it slightly to fit this semester's schedule, but on paper it looks do-able (she says now). Wish me luck!

Any one interested in training along with me?

PS - this is the perfect excuse for cute new workout clothes and shoes ;)

QuickEdit
Ashley B
7 Comments
Share :

7 comments:

  1. You always have great long term goals (first the 30 day challenge, now a half marathon?!). As much as I hate running that Disney princess run always looked so fun.
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck!! i did two last year and absolutely loved them! a great feeling when you finish!

    -Taylor
    tbissett.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is an awesome goal, and you have a plan - you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to run a half marathon. Good luck -- keep us posted on your progress!

    xo Kira

    apairofchicpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Half marathons are the perfect race in my opinion, long enough that you have to train but short enough that it isn't totally miserable.
    The Disney princess half marathon was my first half and I would highly highly reccomend it! It was easier than any other half I've ever run simply because there was so much visual stimulation the entire race it just flew by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am running a quarter marathon (6.55) in April! I am defiantly using the same type of training schedule, just shorter distance:) I agree about the cute new workout clothes - its very motivating! Best of luck to the both of us! Keep us updated!!

    Amy
    http://xchampagnepearls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)