Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Time Lost is Never Found Again


For me, one of the hardest parts about working in academia is the constantly changing and often sporadic schedule. Three times a year your daily routine is transformed (sometimes dramatically). As someone who loves her routines, this has been especially hard for me. And this semester in particular has been rough!

I am naturally a morning person, but this semester I have all evening classes. On top of that, all of my official on-campus responsibilities fall on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, leaving me completely free Thursdays and Fridays. Now I know what you are thinking, I am complaining about having Thursdays and Fridays off. But I don't really have these days off (I have PLENTY of work to do), I just don't have formal classes. So the beginning of my week is madness (on Tuesdays I have 8 straight hours of classes) and the end of my week is open.

Two months into this schedule and I am still struggling to find my rhythm! I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water the first half of the week and struggling to stay motivated the second half (I am tired and burnt out). I have also fallen off of the gym wagon, which means I am sleeping less (ugh).

Last week, I decided enough was enough and I needed to make some changes and manage my time better. I need to prioritize exercising, sleeping, and drinking more water. I need to stop procrastinating on Thursdays because I am tired. It only makes me repeat the cycle by adding more work on to my already busy days! In order to make Thursdays more productive, I decided to change up my routine and create a new habit.

To save money on gas, I have been working from home Thursdays and Fridays. But I find being home all day drives me crazy and I struggle to be productive (you know Pinterest, blogging, etc.)! I never understood why people brought their laptops to Starbucks to work, but now I totally get it. The past two weeks, I have made it a point to get out of the house Thursday mornings and head to a local coffee shop to work. Adding this little routine into my schedule has reinvigorated me (I am still not loving this semester's schedule, but I am beginning to see the light). Getting away forces me to concentrate and I can get so much done in just a few short hours!

There are two local spots in particular I love to go to, Buddy Brew and the Oxford Exchange. Both are local (I hate chains) and very charming. Buddy Brew roasts all of their coffee in-house and had this great hipster vibe, while the Oxford Exchange has a posh British feel (how much do you love the pictures over the staircase?) and even serves high tea (scones help me study).



I think routines are so important and sometimes a simple tweak is all you need. Now, I just need to get back into the gym!

How do you handle a crazy schedule?

QuickEdit
Ashley B
9 Comments
Share :

9 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel! This year of high school has completely thrown me off. I feel like I have no time and when I do have time I procrastinate everything I have to do. The way I have helped myself get through this is by going out to get some coffee, doing homework somewhere else, or making a goal list for the week!

    Hunter
    www.preponabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree about Coffee chains, local places have so much character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand about a schedule not working for you and getting into a routine. That has been my problem all semester. I may use your advice and go somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absoloutely have to work at a coffee shop or library, maybe there is something wrong with me but I can't get ANYTHING done at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely found it hard to keep a schedule when it was constantly changing. When I was in grad school doing an internship, working 2 jobs and attending night class I hated having each day be different because I like a routine. So I feel for you girlfriend!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This semester has been particularly crazy for me, and I think for everyone, but there was a lot going on in Sept and Oct. I've just now figured out a routine, but there are only 5 weeks left in the semester! Fall is always worse than Spring IMO, but I'm like you...I work from home on M, W, and F (if there is no Faculty Senate or Dept meeting that day). It's the only way to keep my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree, I need a schedule. Unfortunately mine has been a struggle this semester I'm (student) teaching full time so getting up early and going to bed early have been a real bear. The coffee shops you go to look ah-mazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate chains too, especially Dunkin!

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)