Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

What I do!



I get this question a lot, "so what exactly do you do?" Inevitably when I tell people I am a PhD student, they respond with tons of questions. Most people don't really understand what it means to be a PhD student. They know that someone with a PhD is called "doctor," but they rarely understand the process behind the title.

So what do I do? Well contrary to assumptions, PhD students are more than students. Yes, we have not finished our degrees (hence the classification as student, although some prefer candidate), but we also teach, research, and write. The average history doctorate takes 6 to 8 years (Yes, that long! I am just over half-way through if you are curious.). This is because we are expected to produce, and ultimately publish, a book at the end of the process. And in order to write a book, we spend years researching in archives (that's why I spend my summers in Florence, Italy).

In the process of researching we become an expert in our particular subject (mostly because it is so obscure that no one else has ever studied it!), and as an expert you are expected to present your findings at professional conferences and publish articles in academic journals. This is the point most people don't understand, we are professionals and being a PhD student is a job.

I think many people assume when they hear I am a student that I go to classes a couple times a week and study a lot, but they also presume I don't have a real job (we get paid a salary just like everyone else). People have actually said that to me before! I have an office and go to work daily (Well almost daily, sometimes I stay home and read in my pajamas all day... no judgement!). My schedule is more flexible than your average 9 to 5, but I have plenty to keep me busy--grading papers, meeting with students, teaching, writing, researching, reading (lots of reading!), and trying to have a life. It can be incredibly overwhelming, but I love it!

Sometimes I joke and tell people I am a professional student, or make up a job to avoid all of the questions! But being in school for so long has made me an expert student and I am planning on sharing some of the skills I have learned over the years... stay tuned!

QuickEdit
Ashley B
11 Comments
Share :

11 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I have always found history fascinating :)

    Hunter
    www.preponabudget.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post - I had no idea!

    agirlandhersparkles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go girl! I just finished my Masters last May and I could not be more done with taking classes, I admire you for continuing on to get your PhD!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat you get to spend your summers in Italy! I had no clue getting a PhD was so involved! Way to go!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep it up! History has always been my weak point in school, but it's one of the classes that I'm never bored in.

    biffsquiggled

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm sure that has taken a lot of hard work but is all going to pay off in the end!!

    aclassystateofgrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! I am an undergrad history student and my goal is to earn my phd one day, can't wait to hear more of your professional student advice!
    xxoo,
    Jordyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. GREAT post! One of my best friends just finished up her PHD, and she was WAY more than a student. :) Congrats! So amazing what you're doing. :)

    xoxo

    Kelly
    kellyinthecity.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post because it was a question on my mind when i first landed here! Its so interesting and i think its a great job instead of a 9-5 which i am already dreading for the future. Keep up the great blog!

    -Monica

    www.theregoesmonica.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's awesome that you are breaking down stereotypes by being a smart AND feminine academic (this is also in response to your About page - couldn't comment there :-)

    Just found your blog while planning my upcoming trip to Italy, thanks for all the helpful tips and pretty pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't comment on your About page, but just wanted to say I love that you're breaking down stereotypes by being a smart AND feminine academic :-)

    Just found your blog while planning my trip to Italy, thanks for all the tips and pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)