Theme Layout

[Rightsidebar]

Boxed or Wide or Framed

[Boxed]

Theme Translation

Display Featured Slider

Featured Slider Styles

[Center]

Display Grid Slider

No

Grid Slider Styles

[style2]

Display Trending Posts

Display Author Bio

No

Display Instagram Footer

Apartment Therapy: DIY Dream Closet


Since returning home from three months abroad in Italy this summer, I have had the itch to redecorate. Probably because my apartment was dusty and musty when I arrived home, but also because I had never put my personal touch on the place to begin with. I should start by clarifying it is a condo, not an apartment. I bought it when the market tanked, so it was an incredible deal! However, buying a home is never cheap and I didn't have much left over to decorate. My house warming presents and hand-me-down furniture ended up determining the style of my charming 1920s abode. But the place never really reflected my personal style. I have finally decided to do something about it (stay tuned)!

I started with the closet, since, as a historic building, there was zero closet space. For years I used a small rolling rack. I came across the Ikea Stoleman system a little over a year ago and I loved the way it transformed your closet into an open-air boutique!

I love the way it turned out! My clothes are beautifully displayed like the works of art they are. I can easily access everything, which means I know exactly what I have and wear a greater variety.


The best news is it is a tension rod system and will work in almost any room. The system allows you to completely customize and add or subtract various features. I started with the 4-section option and added an additional pole so I could relocate the floor to ceiling shoe rack (not pictured) to the other side of the room. I won't say it was easy to install (it took me 12 hours, during which I refused to stop and only threw the stupid little allen wrench across the room once), but I did install the entire system by myself. All you need is a ladder and a level (and a little patience)!

Next up, a new couch!
QuickEdit
Ashley B
5 Comments
Share :

5 comments:

  1. I applaud both your embrace of femininity and your keen eye for display. You do not often see people embrace the beauty of their clothing collection. This closet wonderfully illustrates the importance of dressing (and living) with purpose.

    http://museumingpirok.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I also love your blog about your museum adventures!

      Delete
  2. I love what you did to improve your closet space. I'm one of those people who needs to see everything or else I'll forget about clothes/accessories. Plus that little frame with the Kate Spade quote adds so much personality. So glad I found your blog, I will be following it from now on!
    -Alex
    http://www.monstermisa.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alex, so glad you liked it! I am the same way, if I can't see everything, I wear the same things over and over again. Thanks for the follow and I can't wait to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I love this. Unfortunately I am only renting my apartment. My closet in my master bedroom makes Harry Potter's bedroom look like a condo. I have seconf very small bedroom that I plan on turning into a nice sized walk in closet, It's about a 7' x 11' [decent size for a closet]. This set up will totally work. THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete

[name=Ashley] [img=https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bTA6uO0YNf0/WEooiL2h2DI/AAAAAAAA-4A/4lNwqyMNFRAW7yUynRd5IRlAJVdXzWkrgCLcB/s1600/Blog_Pic_2.jpg] [description=Thanks for stopping by! Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you.] (facebook=https://www.facebook.com/historyinhighheels/) (instagram=Ihttps://www.instagram.com/historyinhighheels/) (pinterest=https://www.pinterest.com/HistoryinHH/)