Outfit: Summer Travel Uniform






Tara Jarmon dress (similar) // sneakers (old, similar) // cross-body // 
hat (local find, similar)


After years of traveling around Italy in the summers, I have developed something of a summer travel uniform:

A fit and flare dress (preferably with sleeves and made from a stretchy fabric) + a cross-body bag + low profile sneakers + a sun hat = 
a function, cool, and stylish outfit for touring and sightseeing

It is a simple but effective formula. For long days of walking in the heat, I am most comfortable and cool in skirts (and this is a life-saver for your inner thighs). To ensure I am Italian-church-appropriate, I often opted for a fit and flare dress with sleeves and a hem that hits at, or just above, the knee. A medium cross-body bag holds my essentials while keeping my hands free for taking photos. Unlike more traditional athletic tennis shoes, low-profile or slip-on sneakers don't look out of place with dresses (no one wants to scream tourist!). And because they are currently on-trend, they come in lots of fun colors and patterns.

Basically this outfit fits all occasions, is comfortable while still fashionable, and is easy to put together. I usually mix my outfits up a bit more when I am at home in Florence, but when I am touring in the summer you can bet I will be wearing this combination. 

I have created some more combinations below to show you just how versatile and fun this simple formula can be.

outfit 1: denim jacket // dress // shoes // hat (local find) // purse
outfit 2: hat // dress // purse // shoes
outfit 3: hat // dress // purse // shoes


This weekend I am escaping the ridiculous heat in Florence (it is forecasted to hit 102!) and heading south to the Amalfi Coast. Have a great weekend and Fourth of July!

Labels: , , , , ,