I Have This Thing With Parisian Doors


So you may have noticed on Instagram that I have this thing with Parisian doors. I love them! I think they are just absolutely stunning and one of my favorite pastimes in Paris is just roaming the city admiring all of the beautiful doors. In fact, when my family headed to Paris Disney last Friday, I stayed in the city and headed out to explore for new doors.

Each door is just so special with intricate details and gorgeous hues that pop from the beige boulevards and grey walls that surround them. My family made fun of me because I basically walk around Paris like this:

Me (stops dead in my tracks): "Oh my gosh! Look at that one! I have to take a picture."
Family: "Yes, very pretty."
Me: (walks a few more steps and gasps): "No this one is even prettier! I need a picture of this one."
Family: (eye rolls)
Me: (walks to the next block, stops and sighs): "Oh, the color on this one!"

Repeat all day.

I especially love the shiny, heavily lacquered doors. I am curious how this tradition started. How long have Parisians been painting their ornate doors these beautiful hues?


You can find gorgeous colored doors throughout the city, mainly away from the big tourist sights. But once you start exploring some neighborhoods, you will find they are everywhere. My favorite areas for door strolling are Le Marais and the area around the Blvd. Staint-Germain and the Luxembourg Gardens.

If you want to know exactly where to find the city's best and brightest doors, check out my Google map guide of Paris!


Please tell me I am not alone in this obsession! And if anyone knows the history of these doors, do tell!

Labels: , , , , ,