Outfit: Capelet Coat

I am sure everyone up north and in the midwest is cursing this unseasonably early cold weather, but down here in Florida, we are super excited to bust out our coats and sweaters so early... so indulge me!





capelet coat (navy still available) // top // skirt (on sale!) // tights (my all-time favorite) // 
boots (super old, similar here)

I don't know about you, but I love the cape trend! It looks so simple and chic... on everyone else but me! For us short, curvy girls, this trend is very hard to wear and even less forgiving. I've tried numerous capes on, but I had to come to the tough realization that I will never look great in a cape - it takes two inches off my height and adds about 10 pounds!

I am a firm believer in that no matter how great a trend is, you must always dress for your body type. If you are short and/or curvy and want to embrace the cape, I recommend sticking with a belted cape, like this one and this one.

But not to fear, I found the perfect compromise - flattering but still on trend (#winwin)! I scooped up this Tory Burch capelet coat during their last big sale. But I actually purchased through Nordstrom, because they price match and because I had a ton of Nordstrom notes I had been saving up. In the end, it was a steal (Nordstrom will price match any sale, even with online sales and orders)!

The best part about this coat is that the capelet is completely detachable. I figured this would be great for traveling this winter and spring. For the cooler temps I have the extra layer of the cape and when the weather warms a bit, I still have an adorable little grey coat (I probably should have taken a picture without the capelet on).

Who knew I could find a flattering cape! Have you embraced the cape trend?

PS - After 22 years of schooling, I took the last exam of my life today! 

Labels: , ,